Thursday, January 03, 2008

Completely Fascinated

I watched Project Runway over New Year's, and now I'm hooked. So, I stayed up last night to watch the new episode. I also went rummaging through my books last night and found one I'd seen, but never really looked at.



I have a copy from 1946...and yet it's actually very nice. It starts off as though you have no idea about sewing, and gives you a list of all the tools you need to get started. It has you make a pinafore (an apron of sorts) that has RUFFLES as your FIRST project. I don't know that I'd do that personally to a beginner, but I guess if you're going to do it, do it all the way. This book was my grandmother's and I don't think she ever went through it either. She wasn't much of one for sewing, or crocheting, or knitting...for that matter, she wasn't much one for handcrafts in general. Oh, she did the odd bit of embroidery, and I inherited all her embroidery stuff. She could sew on buttons, turn up a hem, and do general repairs, but she didn't sew. My mother, on the other hand, is a regular seamstress. She used to make formal dresses for herself for college recitals. She also crochets, but never learned to knit. She also does some cross-stitch from time to time. Me, I picked it all up. I'm hoping this year to be the year I complete projects. I have a long list for knitting and a few items for sewing. I think the more I do, the more I'm going to start. Last year I started so many projects...and didn't finish any. THis year, I want to complete them. Here's a list of current projects (you can also check out my Ravelry site for more information):

-Reversible Hat for my son
-Classic Cardigan for my son
-Sheldon for a friend's daughter
-Baby I.Q. Afghan for a friend's son
-Cigar gloves for my brother
-Socks for my brother
-Socks for my SIL
-Scarf for my SIL
-Spare Baby I.Q. Afghan
-Gauntlets/fingerless gloves for myself
-Baudelaires for me
-Buttonhole bag for me

Then, there's the resolution to "knit from your stash". I want to clear out a lot, and get the craft room ready. There's a lot of organization to be done, and I'm hoping that by the weekend, I can set up my sewing machine in the spare bedroom so I can sew. I also have several sewing projects to do, which include, but are not limited to: a sling for a friend and her daughter, pajamas/sleepers for my son, at least one apron for myself, a couple of quilts, and then all the repairs that need to be done. I want to make a lot of Christmas gifts this year too, so the sooner I get organized, the sooner I can make progress on those. I haven't decided what to make for everyone yet, but I'm sure I can take it one person at a time and get an idea.

No comments: