Thursday, September 20, 2007
I have decided to try a new approach to the design of the bird...what I probably should have done in the first place. I'm doing the math. That's right; I didn't swatch. I didn't calculate. I am backing up, mainly because although it's turning out ok, it's not exactly how I hoped. When I make something in crochet, I know how to manipulate the stitches enough to not swatch and not do the math. I can make it up as I go along, and all is well. However, I think because the stitches in knitting are smaller, and progress is a little slower, going back and doing the math will be a good thing. I should (in theory) be able to do all the math, and then knit the bird with no problem. If I do that, hopefully within a week the bird will be done. If that's the case, and it goes faster, then more designing will be easier. I make a swatch, do the math, and the knit. I hope to have the swatch completed this weekend. The math should be easy to complete in a Sunday afternoon. Monday will hopefully see a new bird and pattern.