Wednesday, June 05, 2013

New Orleans

I spent a mini vacation in New Orleans, visiting my brother and sister-in-law.  Other than the extreme heat (the sun was blaring hot, and with the humidity, we were all pouring sweat within 30 seconds of being in the sun), it was terrific.  You know, sometimes you don't realize how much you miss someone until you see them again.  It was like that with my brother.  He's lived in NOLA for 6 years, and although he comes home for Christmas each year, I don't see him often.  This was the first time we went to visit him, and we really enjoyed it.  Okay, so here are some pictures for you:

Spanish Moss in almost all the trees

A visitor in City Park!

City Park held all kinds of treasures...

On one side of the French Quarter - The Mighty Mississippi

The New Orleans Bridge

All kinds of traffic...

Tug boats abound!

See the fun you can find - even in NOLA!

Surprises are everywhere!
I managed to visit 2 of the 5 yarn shops in town...The Quarter Stitch and Needle Arts Studio.  Both have a lot of needlepoint kits, but that's not why I went.  I did purchase some yarn at Needle Arts Studio - a sweater's worth in fact!  Sorry I don't have pictures of that yet, but it's going to become a Kiama I think.  It was perfect, and there were 9 skeins.  It should be more than enough.  In other news:



Here's a sneak peek at the Miss Babs yarn knit up into the test knit I did.  What do you think?  Not too shabby, huh?  It turned out beautifully.  I also finished the Hermione's socks (I haven't taken pictures of those yet either), and I started another pair.  This one is for me.  The pattern?


The Dragonfly Rib Sock pattern.  I received it as part of my Outlander Swap, and a lovely skein of Malabrigo sock yarn.  I've also been adding to my favorites right and left, since I've found the pattern highlights function in Ravelry.  Have you discovered that yet?  Go to the patterns page after you sign in, and over on the right hand side, just down a bit, is the "pattern highlights."  It makes me want to knit forever.  Well, I already do want to knit forever, but knit specific patterns forever.  It gives me all the projects to make.  The other cool feature I've been enjoying recently is the "recently added" under the patterns too.

Other than the socks, I did start another project (finish two, start two - keeps things even).  I started an Elijah.


I want to make one for each of the children for Christmas.  I hope I can get all the socks done for Christmas, plus the toys for the children, then the quilts (although if those are a little late, it's okay).  I also have a couple of patterns to create, which will be available at Christmas in July at The Whole Nine Yarns.  I believe it's July 21st, and it should be fun.  It usually is.

I think I need a cup of tea.  It's been a long week, and I'm tired.  Maybe I'll knit a bit on my socks, and just relax.

No comments: