Wednesday, June 19, 2013

And I guess that's why they call it the blues

For some reason, for the past day or so, I've had that Elton John song stuck in my head.  Uncharacteristic of what I normally listen to, I know, but fitting.  I think I was a bit overwhelmed when I posted last.  That happens.  You start thinking about all the things you want to accomplish, and all the things you need to accomplish, and then all this other stuff starts swirling around and well, life gets to be a bit much.  It gives you the blues.  Today is much better though.



Sorry the picture is kind of dark - that happens when you take them at night in the house without a light box.  Yes, I know I need to make one.  It can take a ticket and get in line with everything else.  Back to the picture: do you know what all that is?  That's Christmas in a bowl.  Here's a breakdown for you:


This one is Madeline Tosh in Home.  It's going to be a pair Hermione's Everyday Socks for my MIL. These have already been started, but I may have to rip back a little.  I started them without the pattern, and I'm not sure if I got enough ribbing.


This is also Madeline Tosh but in Fathom.  Hubby found this at Stitches South and wanted some socks.  I can't remember if I found a pattern for these or not, but I'm sure to think of something.


This is Shibui Knits in graphite.  Lovely, isn't it?  These are going to be a pair of Earl Grey socks for my brother.  (And if you're reading this, please promptly forget what you just read).


This one is Sweet Georgia Superwash Sock in Charcoal.  They are destined to be for my dad.


This is Cup of Joe, by Numma Numma in Panna Sock, which is 100% merino.  I love the slight twist on this single ply - it makes it look almost rustic.  They will be for my FIL.


Ah yes, the red.  Colinette, Jitterbug, in Morello Mash.  It looks darker in person.  I scored this one in New Orleans, at The Quarter Stitch in the French Quarter.  It's a lovely little shop.  Lovely people. This one is going to be for my kids.  I figure I can get two small pairs of socks out of it.


This picture threw me for a second - the yarn looks slightly purple, but in reality, it's not that purple-y.  This is Tanis Fiber Arts, blue label fingering weight, in chestnut.  I think this one was headed for my uncle, but to be honest, I can't remember at the moment.


This is Squoosh, in Cowboy Dreams.  My husband's aunt will appreciate this one I think.  She's not an overly girly girl, and likes Native American and Western themed items, so I thought the name was appropriate.  The colorway is brown and blue, in muted tones.  It's a lovely subtle variegated yarn, and it looked like her.


This is Malabrigo Sock in Abril.  When I bought this, to be honest, I really wanted it for myself.  However, hubby was with me at the time, and he asked if it was for Christmas.  Knowing that he'd frown on the purchase if it wasn't, I said it was.  Deceitful, I know.  However, after thinking about it, and realizing that I didn't have anything for my aunt, I think this one would work for her perfectly.


This is more Numma Numma, but in Cupcakes!  No, really cupcakes! is the name, with the exclamation point.  That one I think is going to my mother.  Or my grandmother.  I haven't completely decided yet.

So there you have it, my Christmas "to knit" list.  I'm still missing a skein or three (I had plans to knit up plain socks for spare pairs, because occasionally we have people "drop" in for Christmas.)  I'm missing a skein for either my mother or grandmother, depending on who gets the Numma Numma.  Any thoughts on which one should get it?  Any thoughts on what to get for the other one?  What about you?  Do you have knitting plans for the holidays?

No comments: