Friday, September 25, 2015

A little more

The last time I took pictures, I went a little nuts.  So you saw the socks I finished, the shawl I finished, the shawl I'm still working on, the scarf I'm working on and my son being a nut.  Here's something I did last January (not this year, last year...like before the baby was born).


Little Man insisted on being in the picture.  These are my French Press slippers, that I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED.  It's almost embarrassing.  Almost.  There is another project that I hope to finish that has been sitting around for about 8 years (I made it when Little Man was a BABY - no literally, a baby) and do you know what it needs?  Seaming.  That's all.  Just seaming.  I know why it's still sitting in the bag, waiting for me to sew it up.  The reasons are two-fold: first, I can't find my copy of the pattern I used, and I was going to reverse engineer the pattern.  Second, I really don't like seaming.  I mean, like I will do whatever I can to avoid it, including wait until my baby is no longer a baby and a baby blanket won't work for him because his legs are too long.

I have yarn that I REALLY want to use, but I just haven't found a pattern yet.  Do you ever have those times?  You love the yarn, and really want to use it.  You even know what you want to make with it, but you just can't seem to find that "perfect" pattern.  I guess maybe I should just make it up, but sometimes my brain hurts.  I have trouble finding brain power sometimes.  Do you ever have that problem?  I don't know; maybe it's just me.

In other news, I am making loaded potato soup.  Now please understand, I live in a house with extremely picky eaters.  I'm not talking just one or two don't like a few odd things.  I mean really picky eaters.  For example, one won't eat anything that is spicy hot.  One doesn't like bell pepper.  Actually, make that two.  Three won't eat asparagus.  And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  So, here goes my attempt to make something completely different.  I'll share what I've done so far, and what I plan on doing to finish the soup, and let you know the results.  So far, I cut up 4 slices of bacon, about 1/4 of an onion (again, back to the picky eaters - really small bits that cook to almost nothing and give just the flavor of onion), about 3 cloves of garlic (I have pre-minced garlic in a jar, and used about a tablespoon of it), and 7 medium sized potatoes in 4 cans of chicken broth.  I added a teaspoon of salt and a half teaspoon of pepper.  I have cooked it on high in the crock pot for about 4 hours, and will let it cook for another 3 or so on low.  Then I plan on adding a cup of half and half and about a cup of extra sharp cheddar cheese to it. I'll let that cook for another 30 minutes or so, and then call it done.  We're planning on having sandwiches with it, and since it's been raining and cool most of the day (high near 68 degrees), it should make a comforting dinner.  Now, I'm off to finish something...either the scarf or seam up that blanket...not sure which.

No comments: