Monday, November 21, 2016

Crafting for home

I think I have had a revelation this week.  I have been trying to work frantically on items for Christmas, and have made some progress, only to have it undone because I didn't double check.  Eh, such is life.  So I will have to knit a little longer.  But here is what I have started thinking about - instead of trying to start a business, or work on a business, while homeschooling and trying to live with my in-laws, I should start working on my home.

About 20 lifetimes ago (or what seems like 20 lifetimes), I received a copy of a pattern book for a quilt with cross stitch squares.  At my ambitious 16 year old level, I decided that I was making that quilt before I got married.  Yeah, that didn't work out quite the way I thought.  I still have that pattern, and all the materials to make it.  Or at least make the blocks.  The rest of the quilt needs to be purchased, but if I can get all the cross stitch squares made, I'll be doing good.

I also started this quilt earlier this year.


I have most of the blocks cut, and am hand sewing them.  I am not using a machine, not to be old fashioned, although I like that idea, but mainly because my sewing machine doesn't work well and getting one out that does work well is too much trouble.  I have this picture in my head of a large basket full of handmade blankets under a table in my house.  I love the idea, and plan on this next year working towards that.  I have tons of yarn to knit or crochet a few, and I also want to use up a good bit of my stash, if I can find it.  Working through all the stuff we have in storage is a large job, and one that I need to devote more time to, if I can get some assistance.  Unfortunately, that assistance isn't always easy to come by.

No comments: