Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Random on a Wednesday

1. I feel like I'm behind today, mainly because I didn't get up early like I have the past 2 days.  I've been trying to make some lifestyle changes, and so far so good.  I know it's only been 2 days, but when you start something new, you take it one day at a time and celebrate the small victories.

2. I helped a friend with taxes today.  I helped him a few years ago, and got him hooked on the same site that I use to file mine.  This year, he had a different employment situation, and I helped him navigate through that.  I brought things to his attention that he hadn't thought of to put in there, and that will help him out.

3.  I still have a little left to finish the Braided Cowl I was working on.  I haven't bothered to take a picture of it, but I have to sew on a button, and I need to finish stitching the braids together.  It's not really necessary, but it helps keep them flat and makes it look prettier.

4. I looked at my sweater that I started.  It kind of looks like a hot mess.


I knitted the sleeves.

This is what I had previously knitted in a raglan sweater.  And also what I have ripped (the giant ball).


 And this is the section that is actually the "new" sweater.


5. Here's one part of my issue: I'm not following the pattern.  The measurements I took are correct, at least I think they still are, and it was a custom designed pattern.  However, when I started it the first time, it was a bit more snug than I think I really wanted.  Being a big girl, "snug" is not really something I want.  I wanted it to be slightly oversized without being baggy or sloppy.  I chose an average fit.  It still seemed a bit more snug than I really wanted, so I added a little more.  Also, the pattern was written in pieces, to be seamed.  I hate seaming.  Really, I do.  I want to be done with it once I'm done knitting it.  I don't want to spend 3 more days putting the thing I just spent 6 weeks on together so I can wear it.  I want to spend 6 weeks on it, spend 1/2 a day or less weaving in whatever ends there are, and walk out the door in it.

6. The other part of my issue: it's bulky weight.  Now, being a "big girl," bulky weight things are trepidatious.  You have to be careful.  It can easily go from being "comfy" to being "sloppy" in about half a millisecond.  And I was thinking (always dangerous) that in being a bulky weight, I can't really layer with it.  It has to be extreme cold to wear it and I'd have to wear it alone.

7. I thought about maybe changing this sweater (again) to a cardigan.  I don't have many of them, and I do wear one quite a good bit, although I'm not completely thrilled with the fit of it.  It was a cheap one that I bought at a big box store.  I thought I could take the measurements of it, add an inch or two through the shoulders, and make a new one out of this yarn.  This would allow me to wear the sweater as a layer, so if it's too hot I can take it off, but too cold, throw it on.  I think I might get a lot of wear out of it.  Being in the south does allow for layering a good deal, as sometimes we have mild winters and our weather fluctuates a good bit.  I've had a July night when it was cold (I needed a thick blanket when the window was open) and I've had a December when we had to run the air conditioning.

8. Here are my top choices:
Iced

Jacqueline


Oblique

Harvest

Can you help me decide?  All of them have their special features.  They are for the most part, simple, easy knitting.  I think most, if not all, are already written for a bulky yarn.  I want something that will drape nicely, not look frumpy on me, and be worth it.  Also, if the pattern is written in pieces, one that will convert to in-the-round is usually pretty easy to do.  I know this is a cardigan, which means it's not really "in the round", but I can make it seamless, or mostly seamless.  What are your thoughts?

No comments: