Thursday, November 19, 2015

Wishing and hoping

Ever want to just start putting together a whole new look for your house?

Cottage charm living room - love the quilt on the sofa and the heart doors on the bookcase:


I've been gathering ideas on Pinterest for some time and I really want to make a cozy home.  The trouble is that I don't have a home anymore to make cozy.  Oh, sure, I have a place to live, but it's not really mine.  I'm not upset by this, but it does make me more mindful of once I get my own space again how I want it to look.

I think most people these days start off with hand-me-downs.  We did, and they have been wonderful.  Some things we got just because they were on sale.  Like my dishes.  Hubby was kind of hard to please, we had a VERY small budget, and we found two sets of dishes on clearance at Target.  They have served us well over the past 11 years, but I am ready to upgrade.  I am ready to save up and make a mindful purchase.  I am also ready to carefully consider the colors painted in my home and the furniture to fit into it.  I think most of the pieces I have I want to keep, and perhaps just paint or refinish.  Then there are the textiles - you know, the pillows, the throws, the comfy things to snuggle.  These things I have more control over now.  I can make them and store them, since that's really what I want to do.  I want them to be handmade, not mass produced.  I know my children have several blankets that were bought for them, and that's fine.  I just want the rest of my house to be handmade with love.

No comments: