Sunday, September 09, 2012

Swatching

Since Pink is being frogged (or we could call it "re-knit" since I'm working from the knitted portion, without unraveling the whole thing - it's more transportable that way), I've worked up a couple of swatches.  I know, right?!  Me, swatching?  Is the sky falling in?  But I have realized after being told over and over (and over) again, that swatching is important.  For example, here's the first swatch I did with a suggested needle size:

Here's the first one.  It was nice and tight, but not quite on gauge.


It was a little tight, 5 stitches per inch.  One of the patterns calls for 4.5 stitches per inch.  So, since the original one was done on a size 7, I went up to a size 9.



On a size 9, it was close.  Like really close.  So, I could follow the pattern on a different size needle, and get the right results.  This is important.  So, which pattern did I choose?  You're going to have to wait to find out! :)  I did figure out though that not having a project to work on bothers me.  Apparently, knitting is necessary for me.  All the better - now I have an excuse to knit more and have a stash.  We all need a good reason for that, right? 

No comments: