Friday, August 17, 2012

Quick

I've been plugging away at Pink, as evidenced by my (slow but steady) progress:


See?  It's growing.  Slowly but surely, about the speed of a turtle - at least we're faster than a snail - I'm progressing.  In the center, you see Skein #2, and the raspberry color comes through better in this picture than the last one.  Even though it's working for me, I couldn't help it.


I went out to my craft space last night (more on that to come later) and look what I found.  She cried, pitifully, at me, to wind her up.  She had been sitting so patiently, waiting so quietly, and her cry was a soft one, so I couldn't help it.  I wound her up.  Don't get me wrong - I love the blue sweater, and Pink is lovely, but when this Rasta (color of Porrinho) started to cry, I just had to give in.  She's been sitting for a couple of months maybe, and soon after she was wound, she became this:


After only an hour of knitting, I'm about halfway done.  I found the pattern on Ravelry, by Kelly Hechinger who designed it.  The requirements were easy when I searched for a pattern: it had to be out of one skein of super bulky, it had to be a cowl, and it had to have no seams.  The rest is icing on the cake.  It's so simple, so easy, and yet just interesting enough to keep you entertained.  It's an incredibly simple pattern.  The yarn, Rasta, is simply heaven to work with.  Now, I love the blue sweater.  It's great, and Ella Rae Classic is a good solid wool.  But it does have a tendency to be a little rough.  It's a terrific workhorse yarn, which is what it needs to be for that sweater, as I plan on Little Man and Princess wearing it for several years.  Pink is also terrific - Spud and Chloe yarns are fabulous and smooshy in their own right, but a wool and cotton blend isn't always easy on the hands either.  Malabrigo, in all their ingeniousness, created Rasta as a 100% Merino wool super bulky weight to counter these types of yarns.  It's super big, to make a project knit up fast, and super soft, to help ease the drying hands of knitters.  This particular one is destined to be all wrapped up and put under the tree for my mother-in-law.  There's another one waiting in the wings for my mother, but I think that one calls for a different pattern.  I probably would have finished it last night, except before I could wind yarn, I puttered around a bit here:



Oh, it doesn't look like much now, but this is my craft area that has been recently established.  This is far from all of my craft stuff; most of it is scattered throughout the house.  It now has a home, a place to reside, and slowly but surely, like a sweater, it will blossom.  I added the wire shelves last night, and separated my craft stuff into kids' crafts, beading, sewing, knitting and crocheting.  The shelves will house books and patterns, and I have some more shelves that will be moved in here for the yarn storage.  I'd personally rather have a complete room to myself, but for now, I'm willing to share my space.  The rest of the room is a play space for the kiddos, and we've recently rearranged it so there's a nice little seating area in front of the fireplace, which will be my father-in-law's delight.


No comments: