Monday, August 20, 2012

Missing Things

I've been nostalgic lately, probably because there's nothing new under the sun, and in watching fashion shows or magazines, I see things that bring back childhood memories.  In fashion, my rule is generally "if you were around during the first incarnation of it, you probably shouldn't wear it the second time around."  Hence why I avoid neon colors.  I was also looking at some "vintage" patterns, and have a few of them myself.  I have for example this book:


And I have to wonder if we look on these patterns and lines the same way we look at the 1940's and 1950's patterns.  Are they really that classic?  Or are we all delusional about the time, because we enjoyed it?  Is it because there was really something great in there to last, or because we remember the good times we had?  I can't remember if I showed you this or not, but I'll show it again.


I picked three skeins at Main Street Yarns and Fiber in Watkinsville a few weeks ago.  I hadn't been in ages, and it was nice to see where they had moved (yes, I know; they moved several years ago, but like I said, I hadn't been in ages).  The store is a converted barn, and it's lovely inside.  I didn't venture through the whole of it, because in the back, rumor has it, there are dyeing rooms and class rooms set up.  I just wandered a bit through the yarn.  It was nice and airy, with plenty of space to walk and look and touch.  There was an electric fireplace in the middle of the front room, and some lovely seats where my hubby decided sat while I looked (smart man - knowing it could take me a while).  It looked as though it were in between seasons for them.  They still had some summery yarns, but you could tell some of the winter things were coming in as well.  Still, it was a lovely selection.  If you get a chance, drop by and indulge!

No comments: