Saturday, April 15, 2023

Weekly Check-in #15

It's been a few weeks - three in fact - since I last updated the blog. Several things happened. I had a birthday! Not a major one, but it happened. 

It was a good day, spent with my children and husband. We also were all sick (just allergies and sinus infections) that are still lingering. Easter also came and went, and here we are.

Here's my list of goals for the year:

Blog more.
Working on it...I am up several posts already.

Keep the food budget to $400 per month.
I haven't reached this goal yet, but I have made progress on it. We spent much less last month, and so far I am trying to use up what we have. This is connected with decluttering currently, as I am working on organizing the pantry, utility room, and laundry room (they're all pretty much the same space). There's still a good bit of tidying to do, but I have tossed expired food, labeled boxes and bins for current food, and have to rearrange a few more things. But it's a project that I have to do in small steps, due to daily duties.

Start a garden.
I need the garden area tilled. I have gone through my seeds and I think I have what I want to plant figured out. I just need the soil ready.

Pay more attention to my health.
The No S Diet is still working. I have been sick, but keeping fairly steady on this one. I have also stopped trying to fight the rhythm of the house, and just go to bed a little later and wake up later. It means I can get 7 and a half hours of sleep instead of 6, and I feel so much better. I get enough sleep cycles so I don't feel as tired during the day.

Read 50 new books this year.
I finished another book, bringing my total to 7. Here's the list so far:

How to Use a Planner Without Wasting Time, Mystie Winckler 
Poor Richard, James Daugherty
The Empowered Wife, Laura Doyle
Fortress of the Lost Amulet, Michael Webb
Different, Sally Clarkson
Robinson Crusoe, Daniel Defoe
The Convivial Homeschool, Mystie Winckler

I am not reading as often as I should. This is something I can fix, but I have to make it purposeful. Maybe I can finish 2 this week, bringing me up to 9, and then focus on another one next week. Since this is week 15, I have 7 books done with a goal of 50, I am behind by 8 if I read a book a week. Did you know that Theodore Roosevelt read a book a day? No joke! That's pretty impressive that he found enough time to read that much. Maybe we should all shoot for that goal.

Declutter our home and make it hospitable.
It hasn't been exactly what I wanted, but spending time in the pantry has been beneficial. It's one of those places that everyone uses, but hardly thinks about. I have so many places to tidy, clean, and declutter, sometimes it's hard to know where to start or what would make the biggest difference. I have a few other hot spots that need to be tidied this week, so maybe I can get that done.

Complete 12 craft projects in progress.
My sweater is still in progress. I split the sleeves, and added a bust dart. I tried it on, and it fits perfectly. I also made my own knitting cords. It was a fraction of the cost of a set, and it works well. That was a win. 

How was your Easter? Did you make any progress on your goals?

1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

Eye on the prize! It looks like you are keeping on top of things, even if it's progressing slow. Slow and steady wins the race. :-)