Sunday, October 08, 2023

Sick

Just when you start to get back on track, something happens. This past week I got sick. It wasn't just a cold or sinus issue, like I normally have during the changing seasons. This came like a bulldozer. I had a "mild" case of pneumonia, called "walking pneumonia". It has really knocked me for a loop. It has taken more out of me than expected. I could push through a lot of this, but I just don't have the wherewithal to do that. There was a time when I would, but this isn't it. Perhaps it's selfishness on my part. I will admit that I am getting a bit selfish, because I do a lot for others and when I need help the most, hardly ever get it. I have been "strong, able-bodied, and independent" so much that now when I ask for help, my request is ignored or pushed aside. Does that sound like whining? It's not meant to be. 

I have been slowly getting back into the swing of things, but I have also been taking more time for myself. I started reading - I wasn't able to read much this summer, so I am making up for lost time. This summer was much faster than I expected, and not a real break like I hoped. Barreling down life at breakneck speed isn't for everyone. And everyone needs a break now and again. I hope that this short break will help me get back on top of things. 

Finished books:

Christy by Catherine Marshall - this is a book I read ages ago, but the book club my daughter was in read it in August. I am keeping up with their booklist, as it's beautiful this year, and I could use the beauty. If you haven't read this one, I highly recommend it. It's a beautiful story of a young woman, full of ideals, who goes to teach in the Appalachian mountains in Tennessee. While fictionalized, it is based on a true story. I marked several places to put into my common place book, once I start that again (I am really behind on that one). 

Shadow of Betrayal by Michael Webb - I went to high school with Michael, so I know the author, which could lead you to believe that I am biased. I will say that although I may be, I try to be objective when reading and truly evaluate the story on its own merits. I have read just about everything Michael has written, and I have passed them on to my son. I don't hand my 16 year old junk books! Michael's books are solid, well crafted stories. He's a native Georgian, so if you want to read a local author, grab one! His books are fantastic fantasy, classified as Young Adult fantasy, but I have never been bored with them. I honestly don't read a TON of fantasy - fiction, yes, but not usually fantasy - but I love his series. 


Picking back up and starting:
Awaking Wonder by Sally Clarkson - this was supposed to be a Mother's book club book, but it got pushed aside (the book club, not the book). I was reading it before and I got distracted with other books, as normal for me, and I am back at it. 

A Fall of Marigolds by Susan Meissner - this is my daughter's book club September selection. I had seen it and wanted to read it, so I am picking it up now.

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie - this is the October selection for her book club. I love Agatha Christie books. I have wanted to read more of them, but never picked them up. Until now. I have introduced my son to her writing with And Then There Were None and he loved it. 


1 comment:

Amnicon Studio said...

How do you have so many book clubs? Lucky you!

I've barely read anything in the last few years. I keep trying. Then get distracted. I have a short stack of books I just picked up from the library last week. Have I opened one? Nope. Well, the one about cross stitch I did. :-)